Sunday, July 18, 2010

My Kitchen Chalkboard Project Story

This story starts at Home Goods last Saturday, when I'm supposed to be on the hunt for a rug for our den (we are getting wood floors), when my eye wanders in the lamps and wall decor section. I happen to find adorable, large-framed chalkboards for sale. I love, but I redirect my attention to the task-at-hand---getting a rug, foolishly thinking I could always come back and buy one of those chalkboards later. As Julia Roberts would say, "Big mistake, BIG!"

Monday morning rolls around, and I get a bee in my bonnet that I just have to have one of those chalkboards to go in my kitchen. I mean I still have some leftover birthday money, even though I'm sure I spent most of it on that rug. Nevertheless, I can't get the decorating idea out of my mind. So instead of getting groceries like I should, I trudge all three kids off to Home Goods, passing HEB on my way. The whole way there my heart is pounding with excitement. I know this sounds like a bit much, but as a person that rarely deviates from my normal schedule, it was kind of thrilling. After a few, "Don't touch anythings." and "Who wants to ride in the carts." We are breezing through the thankfully air-conditioned Home Goods. I make a beeline back to the section where it all started only to find that ALL the chalkboards were GONE! (Ugh) This may sound kind of crazy, but I actually wanted to cry. Silly, isn't it? I kept searching the section and shelves over and over again only to find their bulletin board look-a-likes. After taking everyone to the potty, one-by-one (not an easy thing to do), feeling defeated, we left Home Goods empty-handed. At that point, I probably should have given up and went on to HEB to get my regular Monday groceries, but I didn't. We ended up going to 4 different places after that, searching for a dang chalkboard. You would be surprised how rare they really are, especially ones with a cute frame. Then the idea came to me...what about chalkboard paint? Yes, I could buy one of the bulletin boards and somehow convert it into a chalkboard. Sooo after a stop by Home Depot for paint, and Home Goods for a bulletin board. "The Project" begins......
Yup, I painted directly onto the cork board.

This paint costs $10 at Home Depot. And, a little bit goes a long way.

Not a bad paint job, I didn't even have to tape. I guess it's just my experience with painting my kids bedrooms numerous times.


As you can see, the texture was just not right for writing on with chalk.



My kitchen wall before.


Empty wall.


After: I added some antique platters.
Painted bulletin board, looks nice, but not working... So after a phone call to my handy dad, I figured I could always try popping out the bulletin board and somehow attaching a hard board on the aback that can be painted. The next night I went to Home Depot and found a very thin, smooth, but sturdy type of board and had them cut it for free to my exact dimensions. I walked out of there with a board for my kitchen and the leftover scrap (which was larger) for less than $4. Wow! I figured I could use the leftover board to paint a chalkboard for my kids to play with.




Oops! I made the mistake of choosing a screw that was too long. I later covered it up with a marker. You hardly notice it.

I was lucky enough to find several smaller smaller screws in my tool box that didn't make a whole on the other side of the frame. I used my husband's power tool to screw in the new board


Who doesn't hang pictures and paint while cooking?



The lasagna was a little neglected in the oven while I was busy with the new board, but I don't think anyone noticed.


Don't try this at home. Mixing painting, drilling and hanging pictures with cooking. Although, I'm not sure you can count throwing a Stouffer's in the oven cooking?



Ahhhh. Finished product. After, popping out the corkboard, and attaching the painted board from Home Depot, the was actually a little gap where I can store the chalk.


Now I've got a great place to write notes, scriptures or what's for dinner....etc.
A special thanks to The Nesting Place for the idea.

And, the kids have a great place to use their sidewalk chalk outside without making a huge mess.


Maybe just a small mess...
Mackenzie approves too! ;)

2 comments:

Lexi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lexi said...

Wow, I really missed the boat when I was over at your house last Tuesday. I thought that thin black board you bought WAS chalkboard... that's why I was so surprised that it only cost $4 or whatever ~ ha! So as I was reading your story I kept thinking "why and what is she painting?" (Sigh and eye roll at my own stupidity ;)) Anyway, JOB WELL DONE! I would have left out the stouffer's box to make it look like I was REALLY a domestic champion though ;) Oh, and I appreciated the Julia Roberts reference!
(Sorry about the first deleted comment... I forgot to spell check and it didn't make sense!)